Thursday, February 3, 2011

Only a year too late...

Eleni says:
I'm always harping on everyone about how I want us to keep good records of our dinner club. And then I remember that I have not posted any of my recipes on our blog! Open mouth, please insert foot.
Today is a new me...a snazzy, polished, blogging-crazy me. I'll add each of my recipes in its own post.

February 2010 - Dinner #1 Theme= Fruit
Whole Wheat Cranberry-Apricot Bread
(makes two 8inch boules)

* 2 teaspoons instant yeast
* 1 1/3 cups lukewarm water
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1 cup whole wheat flour
* 2 cups bread flour
* 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
* 3/4 cups dried cranberries (reconstituted in 1 cup water)
* 6-8 dried apricots, chopped

1. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Mix and knead until the dough is smooth. Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rise for 1 to 2 hours until it’s doubled in bulk.
2. Punch the dough down, and knead the cranberries and apricots into the dough. Let it rise a second time, for about 45 minutes. After it has risen cut the top across and vertically, being careful not to go more than 1/4 inch deep. That’ll give you a good artisanal look.
3. BAKING – Remove the plastic wrap and bake the bread in a preheated 350*F oven for 35 to 40 minutes until it’s golden brown. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center will register 190*F. Remove it from the oven and turn it out of the pan to cool on a rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment